Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jump Around! Jump, Jump, Jump Around!


We've all heard it. We've all done it. That House of Pain hit "Jump Around" might have ridiculous lyrics, but it also has one of those beats that you just can't help but, well, jump around to.

And though most of us most likely would never admit to doing so, when we blare this song and actually "Jump Around," we have fun. 

Well, I've given in to that "Jump Around" philosophy where my writing is concerned, and I must admit that, though it's against my nature (I'm typically a "start at the beginning and write till the end" type guy), I'm having fun with it.

My current contracted WIP (notice I said "contracted." Yeah, that means I have more than one going right now. But, don't we all? lol) has been giving me a bit of grief as of late, and I'm falling behind on my deadline for that dreaded first draft. note: It's due by the end of the year. Yeah. No matter how hard I've tried, I just haven't been able to eke out more than a few words at a time--which really stinks, am I right?

But the other day, a great scene popped into my head, complete with dialogue and clear setting, and I had to snag a scrap piece of paper and jot down the basics of it before I forgot it. When I got home, I quickly opened said WIP and fleshed out the scene, which ultimately led to another scene and another scene. Score! But, I never would've gotten those three (yes, I said THREE) scenes down had I not been open to letting a scene farther into the book out of my head. If I had done what is typical of me and ignored it until I got to the point where it was needed, I would still be sitting here wishing for inspiration.

So the moral of today's post is this: Regardless of your norm when it comes to your writing, loosen the straps a bit and be willing to "Jump Around." 

You may just find that it's a lot more fun than you thought!

Oh, and just in case you wanna give it a listen (don't lie, you know you do), here's "Jump Around." Enjoy!




2 comments:

Jordan Dane said...

Ok...I'll admit it. I jumped around at the UW Badger game on Sat. Had a blast! Love this post. Good advice, buddy. Congrats on the contracts! Yay!

Sechin Tower said...

Good post. You don't have to write something in the same order it will be read!