Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What A Reader's Looking For, And What They're Hiding From

I have very little writing experience, but what I do know is reading. After reading approximately two thousand-ish books, I have come to realize that my reading style has pattern; anything. Having a vast variety within reach, I do however stick to YA in place of my much beloved classics. Here is what I mean to provide authors, not exactly sure how it may be interpreted but hey, what turns an average teenager off from a book or series. However, do not write strictly for readers, you will never please everyone. You must tell your story, and all the clichés that you feel need to accompany it. But if you need a little, um, guidelines to making something worth while today.

Numero Uno, A stupid flipping love triangle. It is played out and unnecessary. Unless, of course, it consists of a girl, a fictional character, and food. But let's face it, that is an unlikely novel that I would very much enjoy reading. Off topic, my bad, seriously. Teenagers who read are typically amazing but not the type to be caught between too incredibly attractive supernatural beings, okay?

Secondly, can we stay away from vampires and werewolves for a little while? Now, I am speaking strictly of average werewolves and vampires. By average, I mean the teenage forms of the two that fall in love with whiny girls. Lycans, the creepy things from I Am Legend,  and other deviations of the two are acceptable and still draw intrigue, just maybe keep them out of high school. I sound like I am attacking a certain book series, but I swear I am not doing so intentionally.

Also, let's try some older settings. Trust me, I love post apocalyptic and alien worlds, but we should change things up. I am talking some teen friendly Games of Thrones type books. (Yes, we still read those books but it is frowned upon.) The time of kings and queens and dragons was fantastic, therefore it needs more glorification. By saying fantastic, I am aware I am forgetting the lack of hygiene, modern medicine, and running water... but those can overlooked.

Lastly, where are the cool parents? All the parents I know are pretty awesome. Okay, some are pretty awesome; some, not so much. I keep reading about parents who just do not parent. And they are boring. Parents can be good guys and not all kids hate their parents. I personally love my mommy and tell my friends about it to the point that they just ignore me. Beside the point, parents can have a positive impact on their children and children can recognize it.

Do I know anything, really? No. But, I think I might speak for others. Either way, this is what choir freak, nerd fighting, highly functioning sociopath wants. There must be more of us, so let's just agree upon my cries for variety. If you have any of these, or do not, in your story, that does not make it a bad story or an amazing story. You are the one who makes it; your characters that take form; first in your mind then on the page.

You Stay Classy, San Diego.

2 comments:

Jordan Dane said...

Have you been watching the insanely good SLEEPY HOLLOW TV show on Fox? The show combines history with witches, romance, horror, the Bible, classic literature, and fantasy as if the writers used a method I'd been wanting to try - devising a plot by dartboard. I think the right story line could work for YA.

Fun post, M. xxoo

Maureen McQuerry said...

The lack of interesting,engaged parents in YA is legend.
Sure the YA character has to drive the story and save the day, but that doesn't mean parents have to disappear. Well said.