Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Soundtrack To My Life... Or Rather My Characters Lives.

Follow Me On Twitter
Like Me On Facebook!


For me music is a huge part of my life, and needless to say my writing. It helps me set a mood and environment for my manuscripts and has the uncanny ability to put me in a cheery mood after a long day.

Recently while working on my Sci-Fi novel my musical tastes have strayed from that of the normal Billie Holiday, Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald.

Here are a few of the songs that have helped me form the book I am currently working on!


Somebody To Trick by Fossils of Ancient Robots


The electronic beats immediately draw to mind the futuristic setting of the world I am piecing together in my head. The world encased in metal, so many lights that night has been forgotten, humanity being of a slightly different meaning now.







My Friend The Devil by Audra Mae and The Almighty Sound

Did I mention how eclectic my preferences in music are? The throaty voice of Audra Mae symbolizes everything I need to bring to life one of my characters who has a penchant for playing with things she shouldn't and not caring about the consequences that will surely follow.


I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie

One of my favorite bands Death Cab For cutie never fails to write slow melodies that relieve any tension from my mind and replacing them with beautiful imagery that takes me to undiscovered worlds and ethereal lands filled with rivers of words, trees of hopes, and the end that is too bittersweet.


Mad World by Gary Jules

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad that the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.
The borderline heartbreaking tune managed to attach itself to a part of my soul that appears to be masochistic as I imagine the chaotic depression inside of a child who just can't seem to belong. Which is one of the reasons I love YA so much is because that is what essentially most YA books are about, finding where your own voice and a place to feel special.


Colours by Grouplove

This upbeat song helps find and define the unique voices of all of my characters as they take part in witty and sometimes not so witty banter to ease the tension of the despair of not knowing how everything will turn out just yet.


Well I hope everyone enjoyed these songs I shared today! Maybe one day these songs could be apart of an actual soundtrack to the movie of one of my books. ;)

 Goals lofty I myself find having. -- I am watching Star Wars right now and needed to talk like Yoda at least once today.

Thank you all for putting up with my nonsense! Have a lovely Sunday Funday!

--Lexi

1 comment:

Jordan Dane said...

I love this post. Music definitely can flavor your work and get you into the right mood. Your samples and explanations are amazing. Keep up the goof work, Lex. You're so gifted...and special.