Friday, February 3, 2012

Get Yourself Out There - Guest Post YA Author Trisha Wolfe

Hosted by Jordan Dane

I'm excited to have debut YA author Trisha Wolfe on ADR3NALIN3 today. I had the honor of reading her debut book DESTINY'S FIRE in advance and loved it. I know readers will get hooked on her futuristic steampunk world building and compelling (yummy) characters. Welcome, Trish!!!!

Hello ADR3NALIN3 followers! Thanks so much to Jordan Dane for inviting me to guest post and the ADR3NALIN3 authors for letting me hijack their blog. My debut YA Destiny’s Fire recently debuted, and I’ve been asked a few times in interviews and random conversations how I got published. I believe most people think I went at it the normal, traditional way. 1) Get agent 2) agent submits to publishers 3) publisher makes offer…BAM. Book deal.



But I had a long and hard road to publication, and the agent came afterward. See, I had penned three books, and I’d submitted book number three, tentatively titled at the time The Crystal Pendulum, to over a hundred agents. I have to say, this book came close. I actually had two agents on the fence. I don’t mean that sweet rejection letter you get where the agent is nicely brushing you off. I mean they were truly tossing an offer around, but in the end, they felt the story wasn’t marketable. I remember talking with one of my critique partners and saying, I just can’t shelve this one. I didn’t think twice about shelving the first two books, even though I loved them. I put them away and started book three. But I just couldn’t do that with TCP. I felt it in my bones, I’d worked hard, and it may not be New York material, but I felt possibly a few readers would enjoy it.


I began researching small publishers. I sent out queries and sample chapters to four presses. Within two weeks I had two requests for the full. I didn’t get excited, I’d been there before. Agents had requested the full and passed, so I sent and forgot about it. Okay, tried to forget, which was reading mounds of books and pacing. A lot. Within another two weeks, I had an offer from one. First thing I did was call my mom and scream. Then a few days later, an agent that I’d sent TCP to, who I’d written off, got in touch with me and asked if the manuscript was still available. She wanted to represent me. Now, I battled this for a while. A lot of people might think I’m silly for not jumping on the offer from the agent, but I had a sure publishing contract in my hands. I loved this agent, and I knew going with her meant a shot at New York, but sometimes you have to start small. Instead of being on submission for months, maybe years, and my book never making it in the end, I felt like this story should take its shot with the readers. I went with the small press, but kept in touch with the agent.


A month later, the agent contacted me and inquired if I was working on anything new. I honestly didn’t expect her to want anything to do with me after I’d turned her down to go with a publisher. But, I took a chance and sent her a partial and synopsis for book number four. She loved it right away, and offered me representation that day. And we’ve been close friends ever since.





It’s the year 2040, and sixteen-year-old Dez Harkly is one of the last of her kind—part of a nearly extinct race of shape-shifters descended from guardians to the Egyptian pharaohs. Her home and her secret are threatened when the Council lowers the barrier, allowing the enemy race to enter the Shythe haven.



As the Narcolym airships approach, Dez and her friends rebel against their Council and secretly train for battle. Not only is Dez wary of war and her growing affection for her best friend Jace, but she fears the change her birthday will bring. When Dez’s newfound power rockets out of control, it’s a Narcolym who could change her fate… if she can trust him.


Dez’s guarded world crumbles when she discovers why the Narcos have really come to Haven Falls, and she's forced to choose between the race who raised her and the enemy she's feared her whole life.

Available Now - Omnific Publishing
 
 
Trisha Wolfe is the Young Adult author of the Steampunk/Paranormal Romance novel DESTINY'S FIRE. Her short stories have appeared in literary journals, Fantasy magazines, and anthologies. Her first novelette UNVEILED can be found anywhere ebooks are sold. She's represented by Lauren Hammond of ADA Management. For more, visit: http://www.trishawolfe.com/

Other Links: BlogTwitterFacebook, Goodreads

9 comments:

Jordan Dane said...

Good morning, Trish. Loved how your cover turned out. STUNNING! I'm so excited for you. Destiny's Fire is addictive. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story with ADR3NALIN3.

Anita Grace Howard said...

What a fabulous guest post! Thank you ladies! Trish, I love stories like yours, because it proves to writers that there's more than one way to get onto the shelves and into the hands of eager readers. Well done, and congrats!

P.S. The book trailer ROX.

Trisha Wolfe said...

Thanks, Jordan and Anita! I love the cover, too, and yes! There's def more than one way to get your book out there. I love hearing different stories, too =D Thanks so much!

Ellie James said...

Awesome story, Trish! Your story sounds amazing. I'll definitely be looking for it! And Anita is right, the trailer is terrific!

Trisha Wolfe said...

Aw, thank you, Ellie! A couple hot guys really help out a trailer LOL thanks, girls!

Jennifer said...

Awesome guest post. Destiny's Fire sounds like a fantastic read too. The cover is absolutely GORGEOUS. I can't wait to crack the spine.

Trisha Wolfe said...

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I hope you enjoy! =D

Jordan Dane said...

Hey Jen--Thanks for stopping by. Trish is a talented new YA author. I'm so excited for her new release. You'll want to check it out for your blog.

Jordan Dane said...

Thanks for being our guest, Trisha. Please keep us in mind for your next release and have a great launch.

Go Team Reese!